Beth's Corps Experience

Profiling my time as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Macedonia.

Thursday, January 20, 2005

Vevčani Carnival

Vevèani Carnival
Last week the village of Vevčani, outside Struga (where Liz the Vegan now lives) had their annual winter carnival to celebrate Old New Year. The carnival began on Thursday, the 13th and was a three day affair. There is another MAK 8 Volunteer who lives there, Alex (see “Kaitlin as McGuyver” picture) and he invited us to attend the carnival.

The activities at the vevčani winter carnival consist primarily of drinking, dressing up in random costumes (apparently an average bathrobe is one of the most popular uniforms) and parading around the center of the town like a nutball. No one really sleeps, they just party it up for three days straight.

My counterpart and I had meetings in Kičevo, Kruševo and Struga on Thursday and I stayed at Veegs house on Thursday night. We went to the Vevčani carnival Friday afternoon…but it was obvious that the party had already started (and had been going on for a very long time) without us. We looked for Alex but were unable to find him amidst the madness.

1 Comments:

  • At 7:05 PM, Blogger NUMBER#2 said…

    Hi Beth. I'm really glad that you are enjoying Macedonia for what it really is...including its oddities and everything in between. I am a Macedonian who spent 9 years living in the states and now I am back in my first home trying to spend some more time here. I'd like to maintain contacts with Americans so if you don't mind you can shoot me an email so we can get in touch. skopyeah[at]gmail

     

Post a Comment

<< Home