Beth's Corps Experience

Profiling my time as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Macedonia.

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

The Wine & Cheese Festival

The Wine and cheese festival finally happened (July 30 and 31) and a lot of the stress is now relieved. The event (or manifestation, as it is usually amusingly translated) itself was a success with 9 wineries represented and 11 Cheese producers (including 5 associations, way to go guys!) improving their name and product recognition and market position within the domestic wine and cheese sales market here in Macedonia.

My Cheese guys were actively sampling and selling their products which was very exciting to watch and some previously unknown wineries got their name out there so that was a success.

Unfortunately, a main goal of mine was not achieved. This was the second "annual" festival and it was supposed to be a chance for the sheep breeders to plan the event themselves, with coaching from an aid project staffer and myself. Well, that didn't happen exactly as planned.

It was pretty much all done for them and they learned next to nothing, which is really frustrating to me. As I write the report in the next two weeks (I like that I am charged with that responsibility, huh?) I plan on being brutally honest regarding exactly what happened so this DOES NOT happen again. I have also consulted with the aid project staffer with whom I collaborated and I am pretty sure he understands my problem with the whole thing and we agreed that when he returns from his vacation we will write a DETAILED action plan, complete with calendars, contact info, activities, arrangements with government officials etc., so the sheep-breeders can replicate the event (God willing) next year. All in all it was a great event, but I am still left with feelings of disappointment.

Here the Fonko Winery is setting up their booth.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You know that expression, "best laid plans of mice and macedonians"...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home