Beth's Corps Experience

Profiling my time as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Macedonia.

Thursday, February 03, 2005

I Finished My Proposal!

For those of you who don’t know, I am a Masters International Peace Corps Volunteer. What this means is that I am concurrently enrolled in graduate school and my time in the PC is somehow integrated into my graduate studies.

All the MI programs are a little different. Most of the other MIs I know here will head back to their schools when they are finished with their service in Macedonia. My program however, is not like that. During my time here I must write a proposal for a field paper—and then write the field paper, the field paper must be completed by the time I complete my service (COS). Once I am done with both the field paper and my service I am totally finished and there is no need for me to go back to Michigan (great news for this Portland Lover!).

The field paper is an analysis of a development project that meets specific some criteria (dollar amount, duration of project, country etc). Last year I selected the Land O'Lakes Macedonia Agribusiness Marketing Activity (MAMA) as my project. I submitted a rough draft of my proposal in mid January and the revised proposal last week. I am happy to say that I think I may actually be finished...if not I will have to make just a few more changes (I hope anyway).

Now I must write surveys to send to folks who get their products tested at the Seal of Quality lab and get my hands on previous marketing surveys and research and then the paper writing will begin!

Interestingly enough, as I was wrapping up my paper my friend Shaun and I located the best beer (at an affordable price) available in Macedonia, Temno Laško (Laško is the brewery and Temno means dark) in our town. This may not sound like a difficult task, but in a city where 70 percent of the population is Muslim, finding alcohol isn’t always the easiest endeavor.

I Finished My Proposal!
Pictured here: Me and Shaun celebrating both me finally finishing my proposal and our wonderful fortune in finding good beer in Gostivar!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home