Beth's Corps Experience

Profiling my time as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Macedonia.

Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Update time

Hello Everyone! Wow it has been a LONG time since I last updated this thing! I have been very busy with PC stuff, Sheep breeders stuff, field paper stuff (not as much as I should be though) and community integration (which is really just hanging out with host country nationals). Below is a brief description regarding what I have done in the past few weeks, and what I will be doing in upcoming weeks.

Success story for CSHI
I am getting a lot of practice writing success stories for implementing agencies for submission to USAID. Last fiscal quarter I wrote a story for the association development department of Land O'Lakes and a few weeks ago I wrote a story for another project, CSHI (community Self-Help initiative). The story was about how the sheep breeders association has helped its members improve their products and their business in general, and therefore, their incomes. If you want to read it, send me an email…I’ll send you the story.

Mickey Mouse Gives us Money!
Shaun and I authored a proposal at the end of January for something called “World Youth Service Day” which happens over April 15-17. We applied for funds to conduct a park clean up with 40 children from Gostivar ages 10-14. We found out that we received funding right before we were leaving for our in-service. Once we complete the event I will fully recount the affair on the blog. Thanks, Mickey!

Mid Point In-Service training (or was it a 2/3 point service training?)From February 28th through March 2nd MAK 8 (my training group), was in the Southwestern Macedonian town of Strumica, located near the Bulgarian border. We were there for our “mid-service” training (although mid service for MAK 8 was December).

It was the best training we have had, due in part to the fact that about ten of us sort of hi-jacked the training early on. Previous trainings had many sessions that were presented by people who don’t particularly understand what it is that we want or need. Those of us involved in the hi-jacking composed a detailed list of things that we did want and need, for example, training in adult English education classes or how to conduct a project design and management workshop.
Most of the sessions were facilitated by other volunteers and they all covered information that was interesting and relevant. And as of today, I have less than 8 months left as a PCV in Macedonia. Yippee.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home