Beth's Corps Experience

Profiling my time as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Macedonia.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

selfish...continued

So I had been working on a big proposal three days before and was still working on it through the weekend and I needed to get some air that night to clear my head. I headed out on my balcony and found all of my laundry lines full with yet more of her family's wash. At this point I was just angry so I went downstairs and asked he what she didn't understand from our conversation from before. She immediately told me she would move her clothing. It is just ridiculous. She has the audacity to tell me not to use her clothespins, yet takes over all of my balcony space to dry her clothes. I thought this was finally settled (although I have taken down three of the lines to dry my clothes and only put them up when I need them) but Sunday her crap was all over my balcony again. Its just irritating. How anyone can be so selfish is hard for me to comprehend. And all of this would never have been a problem if she simply would have asked.

So here is where the amusing vocabulary lesson comes into play. The word for selfish is себично (pronounced say-beech-no) the middle syllable kind of sounds like the b word that rhymes with witch. Ce in Macedonian means everything. So a very useful pneumonic device is to think of someone as selfish, they are "everything bitchy." The situation is just irritating, although I do get some laughs out of it (when I don't have a laundry basket of wet clothes and my lines are taken by the neighbors).

Pictured here is my balcony with a bunch of their crap on my one remaining laundry line. Ugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home