Beth's Corps Experience

Profiling my time as a Peace Corps Volunteer in Macedonia.

Monday, September 05, 2005

I'm still culturally sensitive...most days.

We also talked about our times here, things that were proud of accomplishing and things we've yet to do, but still want to. Then we discussed what it will be like returning: reverse culture shock, people not understanding (or caring) about how things were for us in the Peace Corps, and more. I got a little taste of that when I was home in September, and all my friends who were PCVs before have told me the same thing, so its not a huge surprise. People ask how your time was in the PC, but they don't actually expect much of an answer beyond "It was the toughest job I'll ever love." And I think most of us could go on for hours, given the chance...

In this picture we are making posters about things we've accomplished and what we still want to do, and we're laughing at pictures of ourselves during training.

Anyway, the conference was interesting, fun and at times a bit overwhelming and emotional. I think it only started to sink in for most of us that we will be leaving very soon. I have a new date to complete my service--much earlier than I expected, October 28! Just 8 short weeks away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home